12.17.2010

a tree, a star, and a little boy


Joan, Jut's mom, wrote this about Jayden:
follow her story at http://www.thenorwaybelle.blogspot.com/

Jayden was curiously looking at our Christmas tree the other day. I had just finished decorating the tree and it was the first time he had seen it. Our tree stands about 7ft tall and was beautifully lit with at least 1000 white lights. I had put a simple star at the top. That morning I noticed Jayden staring at the tree. He slowly raised his arms with wonder and awe as if he wanted to hug the tree or maybe he was wanting to reach the star. I'm not real sure. He had such a sweet, whimsical and somewhat worshipful look on his face, as he lifted his arms. In that moment I was touched by his tender embrace and the sweet smile and look of astonishment and wonder on his face, as only a little child could have. The wonder and joy of a little child. I know he doesn't understand that the star at the top of the tree reminds me of the star that shone so bright over Bethlehem the night that Jesus was born. I know Jayden didn't understand the worshipful attitude he showed me that morning. But Jayden reminded me in that moment of what was most important. I sensed in my heart a deep desire to worship the babe that was wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger. The babe who came wrapped in mercy and grace. That simple star at the top of my tree was pointing and reminding me of the most important gift....the gift of a saviour, the gift of His presence. So I have to thank a little 4 year old boy for reminding me and pointing me to that baby, the gift of God. A moment I won't soon forget. A moment that caused me to worship Jesus in a new way. The wonder of a child. I'm glad that I didn't miss the gift of a little 4 year old boy, in a tender, childlike way pointing me to the most important gift of all. Thank you Jesus for a beautiful reminder of your love, your sacrifice, your grace, your gift for me, for us, for all mankind.

Luke 2: 6-12While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”