10.20.2010

Bring your parent to school day-Sept 24

I was an honored guest in Jayden's classroom on September 24. I always love spending the day with Jayden. It was fun to see him in that environment, trying to play with friends, running outside with a huge smile on his face, and "telling" me all about school. He always is surprised when I don't leave. He makes sure he says, "my mom" frequently to see if I am still there. It is fun.

It challenges me a lot to stay focused on his strengths and not compare him to other children. He, by far, is developmentally the youngest in his class. But, for Jayden, he is showing significant growth. He seems to really enjoy school. I send a communication log every day for his teachers to share how he is doing and here are some of the successes:

My teacher was so proud of me for:
-going pee on the potty
-sitting and singing songs on the potty and not getting upset
-playing with lots of friends outside and in the room
-cutting with scissors
-having a good day
-coloring for about 5 minutes before getting upset
-loved making a ghost
-sang "abc" tune
-coming in when the bell rang outside and stopping at stop sign without leaving room
-learning new words...(so what, if they are Spanish :) "hoy")
-great at attempting all PT tasks, even moving surfaces, navigated over obstacles without tripping even climbing up the slide with ease
-enjoyed shaving cream on hands
-J is a lot more agile on the playground. running a lot more with little tripping over the different textures/ground.
-said "i done" on potty
-eats lunch independently and opened his own snack
-says "I'm going with my mom" "I dig a hole" and "neon"
-very verbal today "I done" "i got you" shoe, bow, and very playful
-asked lots of questions in OT, likes the ball
-enjoyed therapy OT
-pulled up his pants independently

Here's the truth. A normally developing child at 4 can do all this and more with ease. However, Jayden will most likely loose many, if not all of these one day. So, it is all about perspective, right? Let us rejoice not only in what he can do, but even more who he is. May Jayden's light continue to shine brightly and let us all learn how to live in each moment, just like Jayden. Sometimes, I feel that I am the one with the disability. Fully able-bodied and able-minded, and still lazy and ignorant. God has made Jayden and Brooklyn more heavenly mature, and earthly gracious than me. Keep making Kingdom impact, buddy, I look up to you and love you very much! You make me so proud!